Got any Question not found here?
In order to be registered as a student for the professional examinations of the Institute one must be at least 18 years old and have the following minimum academic qualifications.
1. A first degree from a recognized tertiary institution
2. Taxation Technician Certificate of the Institute
3. Higher National Diploma from a recognized tertiary institution
4. Basic Professional Certificate in Taxation of the Ghana Revenue Authority
5. Any other qualification, in the opinion of the Council, is equivalent to any of the above
Students have ten years to complete the final examinations of the Institute from the date of their registration as a student.
Professional Level Papers
This level consists of:
1 Public Sector Economics and Finance
2 Income Taxation
3 Accounting and Finance
4 Indirect Taxation
5 Revenue and Business Law
6 Strategy and Governance
At this level the syllabus concentrates mainly on the theories and techniques which underlie practical issues to be examined at later levels.
THE STRUCTURE OF THE EXAMINATION
At the final levels students are required to demonstrate not only that they have grasped the requisite skills, techniques and knowledge, but also, that they can apply them in practical context.
At these levels the student is to establish proof of competence to practise as a professional Chartered Tax Practitioner and be able to occupy managerial and strategic positions in commerce, industry, public sector and public practice.
The Final level 2 is not subjected to exemption, no matter the prior qualification the student might have acquired.
At the final levels the subjects are structured in such a way that emphasis is given to practical issues, criticism of current developments in taxation and handling of tax planning and administration issues. By completing this level, the student should be fully equipped to play tax advisory role as a top flight professional.
The examination at this level will require candidates to submit answers in the form of Memorandum, Report, Briefing Paper, Discussion Paper and other forms of business communication.
Final Level Exams Papers
The Institute’s professional examinations syllabus is examined at 3 Levels i.e. Professional Level, Final 1 and Final 2. Students may attempt any number of papers in the Professional Level and Final Level 1. However, the Professional Level must be completed or exemption obtained before the Final Level 1 is attempted and the Final Level 1 must be completed or exemption obtained before the Final Level 2 is attempted.
All the 3 papers at the Final Level 2 must be sat and passed at the same examination session. A student may, however, be referred in one paper at the Final Level 2 if he obtains a minimum of 40% in that paper and passes the other two papers.
Pass mark for every paper is 50%.
Final Level 1
Final Level 2
The Final Level 1 consists of:
1. Tax Audit and Investigations
2. Oil, Gas and Other Minerals Taxation
3. International Taxation
This level develops analytical skills and intends to equip the student with knowledge of key subjects necessary to the Chartered Tax Practitioner.
The Final Level 2 consists of:
1. Strategic Tax Planning
2. Advanced Taxation Practice
3. Tax Practice Administration & Ethics
1. No exemption is available at the Final Examination Levels.
2. Exemptions are at the discretion of Council.
3. Holders of the Taxation Technician Certificate are exempted from
a. Public Sector Economics & Finance, Income Taxation, Indirect Taxation
4. Members of the following professional bodies may be exempted from the professional level examinations.
i. Ghana Bar Association
ii. Institute of Chartered Accountants (Ghana)
iii. Chartered Association of Certified Accountants (ACCA) of UK
iv. Institute of Chartered Management Accountants (ICMA) of UK
v. Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy (CIPFA) UK
5. Exemption for all other qualifications will be on subject to subject basis provided evidence is adduced that the student attained the level of knowledge and the standard required.
6. Exemption is not available for an incomplete qualification
7. Fee is charged per paper exempted